Re: Host Name; WWW.mydomain.com

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 at 22:37 GMT, Thomas Kroljic penned:
> All,
>
>    First off I'm a newbie to linux. I recently installed Debian Linux
>    (woody) on a Dell Optiplex. During the installation process, I set
>    the following: installed Apache Web Server, used a host name of
>    "Debian-Dimension", used a static IP address, and also assign a
>    domain name that I registered called mydomain.com.
>
>    Problem: if i use a browser on another machine and type
>    www.mydomain.com, I get the standard "Page can not be displayed"
>    (can not find server or DNS) but if I type in
>    debian-dimension.mydomain.com, the first webpage for this site
>    appears.
>
>     I registered my domain name with GoDaddy.com. After I registered
>     my name, I updated the Host Name at Godaddy to use
>     "Debian-Dimension" along with the correct static IP address.
>
>     At this point, I'm confused. Can anyone point me in the right
>     direction? I spoke with tech support at GoDaddy and they are
>     telling me that I have the Host name configured correctly at thier
>     site.
>
>     Thank you, Thomas J. Kroljic tkroljic@covad.net

If I understood what you said properly ...

You need to set up an alias with godaddy.com.  www., ftp., etc aren't
just automatically appended to your domain; you need to explicitly
choose which machine names will resolve, and where they will go to.  You
probably want to set things up such that www.mydomain.com points to your
debian-dimension machine.

I recommend calling up your godaddy tech support folks and finding out
how to set this up.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please