Odd problem, crash/panic on laptop during boot.

Greetings,

I'm affraid I am a complete newbie when it comes to debian although I've a bit of experience with other distros, so urm... yeah flame on I suppose :)

I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on to my rather old laptop, a Compaq Presario 1220 as it's the only machine running Windows in the place and I'm sick of W98 crashing when I'm in the middle of something.

Anyway, my problem in a nutshell is the sucker won't boot when I use anything other than the 'safe' 2.2.20 kernel! Vanilla 2.2.x & bf24 install but die on the first and all subsequent reboots. All of them seem to die during the RTC bit (where it says copying RTC to system clock or words to that effect).

It's not a major issue but I'd like to have sound and/or a more modern kernel installed, I'm open to suggestions as to a fix or work around, preferably one t hat doesn't involve replacing the laptop :)