Re: The plot thickens - Unable to handle kernel paging request.

Rob Dupuis wrote:
Following my previous posts: 'fsck hangs my machine unpredictably';

I've managed to back up a lot of the data from this drive by skipping fsck
on boot and pulling the data off over the network.
I now want to reinstall debian.

When I try to install kernel v 2.4 from the CD I get the message: 'Unable to
handle kernel paging request' and then the machine hangs. It also hangs, but
with no error msg if I try to install 2.2.

I guess this is some sort of hardware error. Has some of my memory packed
up? (the bios mem tests are OK)...

Any ideas what this means or what I can do?

Thanks,
Rob

apt-get install memtest86 on another box (or go to their website).  It
will give you a .img file you can dd to a floppy.  Boot with it, run the
most thorough test and give it 6 - 24 hours (depending on the quantity
of RAM and the speed of your machine.

If it turns out you have bad memory, there is a way you can take the
info output by the test and use a kernel with the badram patch to make
the memory usable again.

-Roberto