Re: problems with rsa authentication (for use with mpich)

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Pigeon wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 06:13:34PM +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> > Dear People,
> >
> > I am trying to enable rsa authentication for use with mpich. However,
> > I am having some problems.
> >
> > Let us say I have two hosts, foo and bar. I'm trying to log in from
> > foo to bar using rsh passwordless authentication.
> <snip "it doesn't work and falls back to password">
>
> Have a look in /home/faheem/.ssh/authorized_keys on bar. You'll
> probably find the line ends in '...gnf5t78t= faheem@foo' or something
> like that. Change it to '...gnf5t78t= /home/faheem/.ssh/identity' -
> doesn't matter if /home/faheem/.ssh/identity doesn't exist. That will
> probably make it work.

The only file in that directory is known_hosts. I'm not sure why keys
would enter into this at all anyway. As I understand it, the whole idea is
to just stick the trusted hosts into .rhosts, and you're away.

> This seems to be a weird bug that doesn't affect most people, just
> selects occasional random victims to confuse the @$#% out of, like me,
> and one or two others on this list.
>
> > Please feel free to cc any replies to me at
> > Faheem@email.unc.edu.
>
> I feel free, but do you actually _want_ CCs, or just don't mind them?

I want replies. This is force of habit from Usenet, where I have been told
off for asking for CCs before. So I have learned to express myself more
euphemistically. But I guess debian-user is more easy going than Usenet.

                                                             Faheem.