Re: base system install failed: debootstrap poos

Sorry for the resend... forgot a link.

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 14:20, nori heikkinen wrote:
> [cc'ing the list for posterity :)]

> Interesting.  Trying again, it's working fine -- but a little
> experimentation reveals that if i edit a file inside the chrooted
> heirarchy from outside of it, i get these GLIBC errors.  steering
> clear of this doesn't yield any problems.
>
> what i'm having trouble grokking right now is the lilo setup.  usually
> (that is, on other systems i'm looking at), the default linux image
> points to /vmlinuz, which is a symlink to /boot/vmlinuz-`uname -r`.
> there is nothing on my current install labelled 'vmlinuz', i'm
> guessing because i did this the "cheater's" way, skirting the issue of
> actually installing a kernel.  Knoppix has a /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs
> -- it seems like i should be able to copy that from the CD's boot to
> the chrooted dir's root, but doing that sort of cross-chroot editing
> was what gave me those GLIBC problems in the first place, so i'm loath
> to do it.
>
> any suggestions with this?  this is all i have left before i try the
> acid test and reboot ... :)
>
> > More Q's are Welcome. I am working on a Proc to use the Woody
> > basedeb.tar, Knoppix, dpkg-deb and dpkg.
>
> cool.
>
> what do you mean by "the Woody basedeb.tar"?  i thought there was no
> more basedeb.tar after potato? [1]
Okay here is my Proc summary:

Get:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/base-images-current/basedebs.tar

Partition your storage medium. Make you filesystems. I still stick with
EXT3, but XFS is a good option provided you compile XFS into a kernel.

Then mount your "system to installed root" on "/sysimage"
Then mount all of your other partitions relative to "/sysimage"
	"/sysimage/boot ; /sysimage/usr ; /sysimage/var" etc...\

Make a directory "/sysimage/basedeb" and copy the tar there or just D/L
it there.

From "/sysimage" do "tar xvf basedeb/basedebs.tar"

Also from "/sysimage" do a "dpkg-deb extract
var/cache/apt/archive/allpackages-1-at-time.deb ."

I am developing a script to do just that, but nothing bulletproof yet.
Meanwhile a for each loop should do.

Then when all is done doing the extracts:

"cd /sysimage"
"chroot . bin/bash"

First things first after this:

"dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb"

You might need to create a a few things to work it from there...

If "/var/lib/dpkg/status" has to exist and be "valid" first, make one
that looks like this:

Package: libc6
Version: 2.2.5-6

Then goto: "http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32607.htm";

Everything works from there.

Then GET THEE AWAY FROM LILO. GRUB is ONLY THE WAY TO GO.

Peter Whysall and I made a good document only installing KNOPPIX before "knx-hdinstall"

It gives you a clear and concise way to install "grub" using knoppix and "grub-install"

http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/HowToInstallKnoppix

When you get to this point you shouldn't have even installed a kernel yet.

Make a good /etc/apt/source.list, include main archive for unstable... Do this:

"apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.21-2-<arch>"

Make the menu entry and restart the machine.

Well it's brief but enough to help.

Let's hope this helps.

> thanks a lot!  i love knoppix :)

As do I. Best thing since sliced bread IMNSHO.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Your pendulous thorax makes cellists envious of the rotund sounds
emanating from your nose in D minor.