base system install failed: debootstrap poos

trying to install debian on some new servers (dell optiplex gx270's).
i need an ISO with kernel >= 2.4.20 for the GB ethernet card they
have, so i'm using a sarge ISO since i haven't found a working woody
ISO with 2.4.20 -- i'll just dist-downgrade or whatever later.

the install seems to be progressing fine until i try to install the
base system.  it installs away, and then exits with the error:

Base intsallation error
debootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

it tell me that i "might find more information in
/target/var/log/deboostrap.log", and indeed i do.  the contents of
that file is:

mount: relocation error: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: symbol __libc_stack_end,
version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time
reference

that's it.

nothing in /target/var/log/debootstrap.err.log.

the recent few messages on console 4 are:

Aug 5 13:27:37 (none) user.debug installer[77]: Configuring
'base-installer' faile with error code 256
Aug 5 13:27:37 (none) user.debug installer[77]: Menu item
'base-installer' failed.
Aug 5 13:27:37 (none) user.debug installer[77]: Lowering debconf
priority limit from 'medium' to 'low'

skimming through previous posts to debian lists about this error,
people seem to be saying it's a bad CD i'm trying to install from.  i
suppose it *could* be -- but what makes me wonder is the fact that i
got this exact same error yesterday when I was trying to install woody
off floppies.  now to get this same error when installing sarge off a
CD makes me wonder what's up.

i also am tempted to eliminate hardware, as yesterday's attempt was on
a different system than today's was.  they're both brand new dell
optiplex gx270s, but they're physically different machines.

if it's an error with the ISO, can people reccomend a good stable or
testing ISO that uses kernel >= 2.4.20?  i'd be much obliged for any
suggestions about either how to solve this error or known-good ISOs.

thanks a lot,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu