Re: base system install failed: debootstrap poos

[cc'ing the list for posterity :)]

on Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:05:59PM -0400, Greg Folkert insinuated:
> On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 15:30, nori heikkinen wrote:
> > on Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:55:15PM -0400, Greg Folkert insinuated:
> > >
> > > Actually try a Chroot install using Knoppix.
> > >
> > > and Dist-upgrade to Woody... then list an unstable source for
> > > main and then install a 2.4.21 kernel.
> > >
> > > Here:
> > >
> > > http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall
> >
> > thanks!  i'm burning a knoppix disc as we speak ...
> >
> > one question upon initial reading: where is the base image tarball
> > itself?  the document links one for potato[1], but it isn't
> > obvious where to find what i'm looking for on the similar woody
> > page.
>
> D/L the Potato Debs... then just Update to Woody.
>
> Should be good to go. It works WELL!

Interesting.  Trying again, it's working fine -- but a little
experimentation reveals that if i edit a file inside the chrooted
heirarchy from outside of it, i get these GLIBC errors.  steering
clear of this doesn't yield any problems.

what i'm having trouble grokking right now is the lilo setup.  usually
(that is, on other systems i'm looking at), the default linux image
points to /vmlinuz, which is a symlink to /boot/vmlinuz-`uname -r`.
there is nothing on my current install labelled 'vmlinuz', i'm
guessing because i did this the "cheater's" way, skirting the issue of
actually installing a kernel.  Knoppix has a /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs
-- it seems like i should be able to copy that from the CD's boot to
the chrooted dir's root, but doing that sort of cross-chroot editing
was what gave me those GLIBC problems in the first place, so i'm loath
to do it.

any suggestions with this?  this is all i have left before i try the
acid test and reboot ... :)

> More Q's are Welcome. I am working on a Proc to use the Woody
> basedeb.tar, Knoppix, dpkg-deb and dpkg.

cool.

what do you mean by "the Woody basedeb.tar"?  i thought there was no
more basedeb.tar after potato? [1]

thanks a lot!  i love knoppix :)

</nori>

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/debian-boot-200104/msg00859.html