Re: How to make a DSL Internet Connectioo?

Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
My system is Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel built with internet support for National Semiconductor DP8381x series PCI internet support and a Netgear FA311 PCI adapter is installed. The adapter is connected to a Linksys router which is connected to a DSL modem. The connections were tested with Windows 98 and there was no problem connecting to the internet.

In Woody I have edited /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider to enter the user, provider and password information. ifconfig eth0 reports the device up. dmesg | grep -A 5 eth reports a negotiated connection. Still, I am unable to access the internet - i.e. apt-get update fails, in mozilla www.debian.org is unknown, etc.

I know I have missed something basic, but what?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

I have a system very similar to this. I have a dedicated IP from my provider, but if you need to logon, your linksys dsl router should be configured to make the logon (pppoe configuration, I think). Once this is done, you should add the router as the default gateway to your eth0 interface and then add the DNS computer (ip) addresses your ISP gave you to your /etc/resolv.conf file. With this done, you should be able to connect to the outside. I think this is all you need, give it a try. I am a little unclear why your using the pap-secrets and dsl-provider files unless your trying to logon to the dsl connection. The router
has a provision to do this for you and keep the connection up all the
time.

route -n      ;to check that the gateway is there

;use this to add the default gateway
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

--
tony