Re: How to make a DSL Internet Connectioo?

This one time, at band camp, Thomas H. George,,, said:
> My system is Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel built with internet support for
> National Semiconductor DP8381x series PCI internet support and a Netgear
> FA311 PCI adapter is installed.   The adapter is connected to a Linksys
> router which is connected to a DSL modem.
> The connections were tested with Windows 98 and there was no problem
> connecting to the internet.
>
> In Woody I have edited /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
> /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider to enter the user, provider and password
> information.  ifconfig eth0 reports the device up.  dmesg | grep -A 5
> eth reports a negotiated connection.
>
> Still, I am unable to access the internet - i.e. apt-get update fails,
> in mozilla www.debian.org is unknown, etc.
>
> I know I have missed something basic, but what?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

Networking is a many-levelled, so try the basics first.  can you ping a
site by IP address?  192.25.206.10 is www.debian.org, but first I would
try your gateway (route -n will give you that address, and if it
doesn't, that's your problem).  What specific error messages are you
getting, if any?  What do the logs say?  What's the output of route -n
and ifconfig?

|  Stephen Gran                  | Illinois isn't exactly the land that    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | God forgot -- it's more like the land   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | He's trying to ignore.                  |