How to make a DSL Internet Connectioo?

My system is Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel built with internet support for National Semiconductor DP8381x series PCI internet support and a Netgear FA311 PCI adapter is installed. The adapter is connected to a Linksys router which is connected to a DSL modem. The connections were tested with Windows 98 and there was no problem connecting to the internet.

In Woody I have edited /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider to enter the user, provider and password information. ifconfig eth0 reports the device up. dmesg | grep -A 5 eth reports a negotiated connection. Still, I am unable to access the internet - i.e. apt-get update fails, in mozilla www.debian.org is unknown, etc.

I know I have missed something basic, but what?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance.