Re: Which release

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:46:31 +0200
"Stefan Waidele jun." <Stefan@Waidele.net> wrote:
> But with debian-unstable the chance of 'getting the workstation hosed'
> during and 'apt-get upgrade' is greater than with debian-testing, isn't it?

    So don't do an apt-get upgrade.  First install apt-listchanges and
apt-listbugs.  With those you see what's changed and if something has a grave
bug filed against it a prompt on whether or not to install it.  Then after
that just don't do a mass upgrade all that often.  Only upgrade what you have
to when you have to.  IE, security things and packages that you absolutely
need the latest on.  Let the rest upgrade by proxy off the packages you do
upgrade.  Every once in a while do a careful aptitude upgrade to bring the
rest of the packages up to speed.  Following those rules I've had my server
running on unstable for well over a year with no serious problems.  I've also
had workstations riding unstable for over 2 years like that.  It just takes
some judicious monitoring.  Oh, and learn how to downgrade packages from
unstable to testing if needed.