Re: Which release

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:26:16PM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I meant: it's not so much the /upstream/ packages that are unstable, as
> only apps that are considered stable by upstream go into unstable.

Only packages that are considered <whatever> by the Debian maintainer go
into unstable. It's entirely up to the Debian maintainer how much
attention they pay to upstream, and it's entirely up to the Debian
maintainer how stable they want something to be before they drop it into
unstable.

> Apps considered unstable by upstream that are already packaged for
> testing purposes go into experimental repositories. Case in point:
> Gnome.

The Debian GNOME maintainers do this because GNOME is a big system and
it's difficult to get it all release-ready otherwise. It's a good idea,
but it's not applied universally.