Re: apt-get dies with segmentation fault at 98%

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 10:39:50PM +0200, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> At 0:19 Uhr +0200 03.05.2003, Steinar Bang wrote:
> > Reading Package Lists... Error!
> > E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> > E: Error occured while processing xt-sdf2-dev (NewVersion1)
>
> Just to let you know, I've seen a similar problem about a month ago.
> For me too it helped to comment out the unstable sources.list line
> and remove the relevant /var/lib/apt/lists/* file. Looks like apt is
> not handling inputs gracefully and also there may be some problem on
> the servers.

I fail to see how that would indicate a problem with the servers.

In any case, this problem is easily solved by adjusting the value of
"Apt::Cache-Limit"; you do that in the file /etc/apt/apt.conf (create
the file if it does not exist already).

Mine contains

 Apt::Cache-Limit 12582912;

BTW, you would have discovered this via Google.

  Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
  A:      A canary with the super-user password.