Re: transferring files via floppy

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 06:04:00PM +0100, messmate wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:02:05 -0500
> Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:
> | fdformat does a low-level format of your floppy. You still need to add a
> | filesystem. You might want to try superformat from the fdutils package
> | (which adds a FAT file system by default) instead of fdformat. Use cp to
> | copy the files.
> |
> fdformat /dev/fd0u1680 (as exemple) adds a Fat file system ??
> Right ??

Wrong. "mkfs -t vfat /dev/fd0" adds a FAT filesystem to a floppy. (you
need to have dosfstools installed for this to work) fdformat does a low
level format (tracks, sectors, interleave) that prepares the floppy for
a filesystem. After running fdformat, you still need to write a
filesystem to the disk. (I generally use superformat, it does the low
level format, then writes a FAT filesystem)