Re: X Windows and Gnome Problem - HELP!!

Tim Woodward wrote:

> I have installed Debian 2.2r4 on my system and have so far got to the
> point where X Windows is running with the Gnome version that comes with
> the Debian pack. The problem i have now is that i have changed my
> graphics card and installed the XF86_SVGA server, and when i boot up it
> goes straight into X Windows but the mouse is disabled. The screen is
> in 640x480 so looks crap, and i can't exit back to the original prompt
> screen. If i knew how to bypass X Windows upon boot-up i could re-run
> the XF86Config which may solve the problem. Can anyone help me sort it?
> Also, (i am new to all this), i've downloaded KDE from the Debian
> website, and would like to know: Is it just a window manager or an
> entirely independant X Windows type program?

For what it's worth, Debian 3.0 has been out for several months now. You
might want to consider upgrading once you get your current problems
worked out.

If you want the machine to boot up to console mode, rather than entering
X, you could disable or uninstall whatever graphical login manager
you're using. Or you could just hit ctrl-alt-backspace until X gets the
idea that you really don't want it to run (c-a-bs exits X, but usually
if you're running a graphical login manager, it will automatically
restart X when you do that. But if you do it several times, usually the
login manager will get the hint).

KDE is a desktop environment. It gives you graphical tools (a window
manager, a file manager, a taskbar, etc.). It needs X to run; it is not
a replacement for X.

Craig