X Windows and Gnome Problem - HELP!!

Hi

I have installed Debian 2.2r4 on my system and have so far got to the
point where X Windows is running with the Gnome version that comes with
the Debian pack. The problem i have now is that i have changed my
graphics card and installed the XF86_SVGA server, and when i boot up it
goes straight into X Windows but the mouse is disabled. The screen is
in 640x480 so looks crap, and i can't exit back to the original prompt
screen. If i knew how to bypass X Windows upon boot-up i could re-run
the XF86Config which may solve the problem. Can anyone help me sort it?
Also, (i am new to all this), i've downloaded KDE from the Debian
website, and would like to know: Is it just a window manager or an
entirely independant X Windows type program?

Thanks in advance

Tim.