Re: Raid 0 array on Abit KG7-RAID

hi ya Jorge

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, nate wrote:

> Jorge Gomez said:
> >   Hi, I have an Abit KG7 RAID mb with an hpt370 chip onboard and a RAID 0

hpt370 is a known problem controller...
	- none of the onboard raid actually works right.

supported "hardware raid" chipsets
	http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

- if you are using just 2 disks... sw raid is better than the
  'broken" onboard raid

- Raid testing..
	- disconnect one disk ...
	- boot up -->> a properly configued raid1/5 system will always boot
	- write multiple 2GB or 4GB sized files
	- reconnect and reboot and watch it resync
	- repeat for each disk

> > array. A few weeks ago, I've installed Debian 3.0 with disks bf2.4  and
> > it worked with problems. The most important of this problems was that it
> > was appearing that message continously  :
> >
> >        hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 {DriveStatusError BadCRC}
> >        (you
> > can change hde by hdg)
> >        hde: dma_intr: error=0x51 {DriveReadySeekComplete Error}    (you
> >        can
> > change hde by hdg)

some bios won't boot off hde/hdg

cable lenths of 18" is the max per specs ... but wonder why there is
24" and 36" lenghts ?? ( sometimes, depending on which controller, it has
no problem driving the extra load )

- dont mix ata-66 drives with ata-100 drives
- use only the Master on each ide cable
- dont mix a cdrom on the same cable as hard disks

c ya
alvin