Re: Wireless networking question

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 08:44:57PM +0100, Balazs Javor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a notebook, and I'm planning to buy
> a wireless network card (PCMCIA) for it as well.
>
> My question is, that the notebook also contains a built in
> 100 MBit NIC, and I'm not sure whether I'd need to do anything
> special to make the two work together...

Probably not but that depends on what you mean by "work together".

> Presuming that installing the wireless NIC goes well,
> if I assign it the next available IP on the same subnet than
> the 100 MBit is on, would it work automatically?

No, everything on a particular subnet is supposed to have direct contact
with everything else.  It would be possible to use bridging but if you have
to ask you don't want that.  Just set up a seperate subnet for your wireless
network.

> If I then disconnect the fixed ethernet cable to move around,
> would all trafic then automatically be routed through the
> other NIC?

If you look through the debian packages I believe there are tools available
for this situation.  Otherwise you could just do something like "ifdown eth0
; ifup eth1" whenever you unplug your wired connection.  In my case I use
something called Mobilemesh to automatically handle routing changes but that
would be serious overkill for a simple home network.

--
Ray