Re: Does DNS lookup require registrar's servers?

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 18:47, David Wright wrote:

> My question is, can we avoid this problem in the future by having our
> own DNS server be an NS authority (or at least one of them), instead
> of relying on the ns*.mydomain.com servers?

yes, I do this same thing for my domain.

> Obviously this would protect us against the ns*.mydomain.com servers going
> down, but doesn't a lookup still require querying namesdirect.com (our
> registrar) to find out who the NS authorities are? If yes, then aren't we
> still relying on the availability of our registrar's systems? If no,
> then just how does a DNS server find out who the NS authority for a domain
> is?

No, if your internal systems are set to use your internal nameservers,
and your nameservers are authoritative for your domain, the buck stops
there. In fact you can (and I do) point the names to different addresses
internally than the Internet NS's do. The only time your internal NS
will forward a request to the Internet is when it is queried for a
domain for which it is not authoritative. (oh, and mydomain.com will
still handle your DNS for the rest of the world)

-Mark