problems with "recover"

1. I changed my whoe system to ext3: compiled kernel, tune2fs, everything;
worked fine.
2. couldn't run recover in ext3; got "no valid ext2 device found"; ok, makes
sense but i want "recover."
3. changed whole system back acording to ext3 faq; recompiled kernel; unmounted
each partition and ran tune2fs ^has_journal for each; forced fsck.ext2 for each;
deleted /.journal--only journal file i could then find on my system.
My mtab, fstab, cfdisk, dmesg all say I am mounting and running ext2.
3. when I try to run "recover", I still get "no valid ext2 devices found."
What else do I need to do?
By the way, despite all this messing around, my system is otherwise
apparently working fine!
Thanks.

Cheryl