Re: Does DNS lookup require registrar's servers?

At 2002-08-06T23:47:33Z, David Wright <ichbin@shadlen.org> writes:

> My question is, can we avoid this problem in the future by having our own
> DNS server be an NS authority (or at least one of them), instead of
> relying on the ns*.mydomain.com servers?

Yep.

> Obviously this would protect us against the ns*.mydomain.com servers going
> down, but doesn't a lookup still require querying namesdirect.com (our
> registrar) to find out who the NS authorities are?

No.  A nameserver looking up www.yourdomain.com queries the root nameservers
to see who's authoritative for .com.  Then, they ask on of the .com TLD
servers who's authoritative for yourdomain.com.  Then, they ask you.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/