Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Craig Dickson wrote:
> > I'm not sure about other specific products, but there's a basic problem
> > here that HTML is not just a layout language, ...
> [...]
> > because HTML has a number of design flaws that make it a poor layout
> > language.
>
> I think you are aware of this and just miswrote.  HTML is not a layout
> language.  HTML was never designed to be concerned with layout or
> presentation.  HTML is only concerned with content structure.

Originally it was meant that way. Today, HTML has so many features, many
directly related to layout (tables, forms, the ability to choose
specific fonts even though you don't know whether they're available on
the client, or how large they will be on the client's display), that
it's hard to say that HTML has only one goal. My objection is that many
of its layout-oriented features aren't very good.

Craig