Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Ron Johnson wrote:

> Even on Windows, can users of Mozilla & Netscape Mail and other
> MUAs like Pegasus get email virii?  Is it only Outlook/Express
> and Exchange that are vulnerable?

I'm not sure about other specific products, but there's a basic problem
here that HTML is not just a layout language, it's also hyperlinks,
scripting, embedded objects, dynamic forms, etc., much of which is way
overboard for email. To get a reasonable layout language for messages,
you'd have to carefully decide what parts to support, and which not to,
and the answers aren't all necessarily obvious. And in the absence of a
real standard on how to do this, different vendors will make different
choices, and some of them will inadvertently create security nightmares,
just as Microsoft did.

I would actually rather _not_ use HTML, even a subset of it, for mail,
because HTML has a number of design flaws that make it a poor layout
language. Something more flexible in the right ways, and less flexible
in the wrong ways, is needed.

Craig