Re: Hotels and debian

On 25 Jul 2002, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2002-07-25T12:00:22Z, "Matt Chipman" <mkchipman@optushome.com.au> writes:
>
> > It must be some sort of reverse DHCP server or something (he says grasping
> > at straws??!!)
>
> In all likelihood, it just standard old DHCP.  Many (almost all) laptops
> I've been around have been set up for DHCP since they tend to get moved
> between networks fairly often.

At least the Mariott Courtyard in Red Bank, NJ, does not require DHCP.  I
just plugged in my Debian laptop with the same static IP I use in the
office and it worked.

I'm pretty sure they are doing NAT.  As for the gateway issue, what
happens if they put their gateway in promiscuous mode and just NAT
everything outbound?  There must also be some monitoring of active ports
as well, since you get billed even if you didn't visit their web page <G>.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking