Re: Hotels and debian

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:55:47 EDT, Bob Hauck writes:
>At least the Mariott Courtyard in Red Bank, NJ, does not require DHCP.  I
>just plugged in my Debian laptop with the same static IP I use in the
>office and it worked.
>
>I'm pretty sure they are doing NAT.  As for the gateway issue, what
>happens if they put their gateway in promiscuous mode and just NAT
>everything outbound?

The thought of such a setup makes my brain hurt. Please stop it ;)

Wouldn't that require something along the lines of "send the same
 ARP-answer regardless for which IP the question was"?

<shudder>

>  There must also be some monitoring of active ports
>as well, since you get billed even if you didn't visit their web page <G>.

Probably they have a dedicated switchport per room and do accounting on
 that. At least, I'd design it that way.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /