Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Craig Dickson wrote:

> Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>
> > I'm always puzzled by these rants and queries.  Amazing to me, books,
> > those antiquated hardcopy reserves of printed ascii,
>
> Books are just printed ASCII? Books don't use multiple fonts, not even
> different sizes of the same font, or italics? Books have no graphical
> elements? Are you sure about this?

Yes, of course, I over simplified.

Nevertheless, rare is the book that makes its point through willy-nilly
shuffling of fonts and other nonsense all to replete in the wonderful
world of the www.

Yes, too, diagrams, pictures, charts and graphs have an important place
in the visual display of quantitative information.  Here, too, I erred
in over simplicity.

However, to my very selfish tastes, those books, too, are very rare and
quite professionally and rigorously laid out, that increase in value due
to such content.  From my experience, the overwhelming majority of posts
to list services and newsgroups are quite spontaneous and hardly qualify
as professionally laid out.

I am sure that, if I've half a mind and a good deal of time to spend, I
can find some alt.binaries.comicbooks, alt.binaries.html.newbies, &c.,
where I can be entertained, or otherwise, by amateurish doodling.  I do
not see any value that such content, embedded in or attached to posts to
debian-user@lists.debian.org, can contribute that cannot better be done
in some other medium.

Therefore, imho, I must insist that the best place for such niceties of
presentation and style are still limited to the personal webpage, where,
if I'm curious, I can peruse for so long as I desire and not interfere
nor interpose on the very large number of readers who couldn't care
less, and on whom such puffery is totally wasted . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .