forcing client source ip on multi-ip system

Hello,

I have a system with two IPs on the same subnet (on interfaces eth0 and
eth0:1), I want a single server to use one of the IPs for the source IP
of it's request. This I know how to achieve. But I want that any other
program will use the second IP address. And I'm unable to achieve that,
it looks like each run of any client program will choose randomly
between the interfaces.

An older machine with Kernel 2.2 works fine with such a setup, the new
machine is a Debian Woody with kernel 2.4.18 (patched with GRSecurity
and several other patches).

Anyone has a hint for me?

Baruch