Re: Propagating Debian on a LAN

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 04:54, Paul M Foster wrote:
> The process of installing Debian is agonizingly show the way I do it. I
> use dselect and hand pick every package. That's fine for a single
> machine. But I need a way to do that on one machine, and then propagate
> that setup quickly to other machines on the network (consider them fresh
> installs). I don't have a CD burner, so skip that. I considered rsync,
> but I don't know if it would work for this.

If the machines are similar enough, just do one 'master' machine, mount
everything read-only (best in single-user mode), make a tar file of the
entire system (leaving out proc, dev/pts and other mounted dirs, of
course), and put that on the network. Then boot every machine with some
linux boot medium with network access, partition and untar the
pre-installed system. lilo, edit the few files that need editing
(probably hostname, fstab, X86Config, not much more) and you're done.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                         http://fortytwo.ch/gpg