Re: Amazing init problem

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:49:37AM +0200, Hern?n Cervantes wrote:
> I having a amazing problem with the init program
> (/sbin/init). I'm using the Woody (almost upgrade)
> Debian version, I compiled the Linux kernel version
> 2.4.18 with APM support, ACPI support and Wireless
> support (three independient kernels) and one 2.4.14.
>
> The kernels is load without problems, and the system
> is working if I choose the 2.4.14 kernel, but I choose
> any of the 2.4.18 kernel it is load successfully and
> the init process stop when the following line is
> printed
>
> Init 2.84
> and nothing more happen.
> Until yesterday (when I defrag the linux partitions)
> my computer was working whitout problem. I have
> installed the sysvinit version 2.84-3.
>
> What is wrong? What is happening? or What held I must
> do to repair the system?

Try compiling the 2.4.18 kernel with the APM support disabled. I had a
similar problem with my compiled kernel where the laptop would just
freeze and I had to do a hard boot. It turned out that the kernel option
having to do with "idle calls" was the culprit.

Here are my config settings:

CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set