Re: erratic mouse with xfree86 4.1.0?

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 05:21:18PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> |     > Is gpm running?  If so, that is going to cause problems.
> |
> | Ah ha!  That was it.  I should have known - thanks.
>
> | All seems to be ok after stoping gpm.
>
> There's a better solution.
>     1)  set gpm's repeat_type to 'raw'
>     2)  tell X that the device is /dev/gpmdata (not /dev/psaux)
>     3)  use the same protocol in gpm and X
>         ("imps2" in gpm , "ImPS/2" in X)
>
> This provides a mouse in console and X simultaneously.

I have often see "raw" mentioned as a solution to gpm/X troubles.
However, I use the following configuration:

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
#  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
#  appended to the commandline.
#
#  If you edit this file by hand, please be aware it is sourced by
#  /etc/init.d/gpm and thus all shell meta characters must be
#  protected from evaluation (i.e. by quoting them).
#
#  This file is used by /etc/init.d/gpm and can be modified by
#  /usr/sbin/gpmconfig.
#
device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
#Old value. 6/17/02.
#repeat_type=ms3
repeat_type=

#Old value. 6/17/02.
#type=autops2
type=imps2
append=""
sample_rate=

Also,
$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Jun 19 12:11 /dev/input/mice -> /dev/psaux

The default repeat type seems to be something called "msc".

The mouse is a Logitech Wireless with a scroll wheel.

Does anybody know why this works?

Thanks,
Andy