Re: Exim authentication

* Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dman@dman.ddts.net) [020620 20:43]:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:57:17PM -0700, ben wrote:
> | On Thursday 20 June 2002 06:56 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> | > Is linux a system that requires root access to use PAM?  If so, then
> | > pam can't be used directly by exim.  You can, however, use a different
> | > lookup for users (eg look in a passwd file made just for exim, or use
> | > LDAP or SQL or something else).
> | >
> | > I hope PAM can be used on linux ... someone please tell me if root is
> | > required.
> The question is :
>     Can exim, running as user mail (uid=8?), perform user
>     authentication via PAM or must other methods be used?
> This is to provide SMTP AUTH service.  I know it won't affect other
> aspects of exim.

The answer is yes, exim can use pam with uid==8. I'm using SMTP auth
with the debian-packaged exim, running under the default uid and gid,
making use of pam authentication (with a separate user list via
pam_listfile instead of with regular user accounts, but that's below the
abstraction line as far as exim is concerned.)

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/