Re: Exim authentication

On Thursday 20 June 2002 08:53 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:57:17PM -0700, ben wrote:
[snip]
> | root is required for configuration. users get to use it but not to
> | manipulate it. i messed around with it a while back but couldn't see a
> | use for it on my dialup desktop. it allows you, as root, to determine
> | which users get to use what services, so, appropriately configured, it
> | shouldn't interfere with user access to exim.
>
> The question is :
>     Can exim, running as user mail (uid=8?), perform user
>     authentication via PAM or must other methods be used?
> This is to provide SMTP AUTH service.  I know it won't affect other
> aspects of exim.

though i don't have practical experience to back this up, given that, in this
case, mail is a user and smtp is a service, then, at least ideally, exim
should be able to perform as necessary. if mail, as user, is authorized
access via pam, then, it shouldn't affect the smtp auth process. check out

www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/<whatever>

ben