Re: Exim authentication

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:57:17PM -0700, ben wrote:
| On Thursday 20 June 2002 06:56 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| [snip]
| >
| > Is linux a system that requires root access to use PAM?  If so, then
| > pam can't be used directly by exim.  You can, however, use a different
| > lookup for users (eg look in a passwd file made just for exim, or use
| > LDAP or SQL or something else).
| >
| > I hope PAM can be used on linux ... someone please tell me if root is
| > required.
|
| root is required for configuration. users get to use it but not to manipulate
| it. i messed around with it a while back but couldn't see a use for it on my
| dialup desktop. it allows you, as root, to determine which users get to use
| what services, so, appropriately configured, it shouldn't interfere with user
| access to exim.

The question is :
    Can exim, running as user mail (uid=8?), perform user
    authentication via PAM or must other methods be used?
This is to provide SMTP AUTH service.  I know it won't affect other
aspects of exim.

-D

--

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/