Re: Help: Network Printer Config

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:02:49PM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
> I've had to build a new kernel to get Debian to
> recognize my Lan Card.  Now I'm missing the print
> spooler commands, and there's no printcap file.
>
> I've included printer support in the kernel,
> necessitating including the parallel interface.  It
> appears that during boot, parport sees that I actually
> have no printer plugged in, and perhaps that's why the
> printer commands don't appear.
>
> In truth I don't have a local printer, but as I
> understand it, I need the printer commands available
> (lpr, etc) and a printcap file to be able to
> communicate with a network printer.
>
> How do I get the  right stuff into the kernel to
> support a network printer, and how do I configure it.
> I'm used to the "printtool" utility under RedHat that
> helped me do this.

Larry:

The printer support in the kernel is for parallen port printers. You probably
do not need it.

Does your network printer have its own ethernet card? Then it likely supports
the lpd protocol for submitting print jobs. Try running nmap (the
portscanner, package of same name) on the printer's IP address to see what
ports are open.

If the 'printer' port is open (number 515/tcp), then you can use my sample
princap:

	lp|tardis|Xerox DocuPrint N17 with duplex:\
		:lp=:sd=/var/spool/lpd/tardis:rm=tardis:rp=tardis:lpr_bounce:\
		:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
		:if=/etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter:\
		:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Just replace 'tardis' (my printer's name) with the appropriate name or IP
address. This printcap is for the lprng spooler package; apt-get install
lprng first, then edit printcap, and restart lprng). Take out the fourth line
(the one that contains 'magicfilter') if you will not use any filter,
otherwise you must install magicfilter. If you do install magicfilter, you
might as well use magicfilterconf to write the printcap for you, then check
it by hand if necessary.

Another option is to use the pdq spooler. It is very easy to set up using a
GUI tool; the downside is that it works on a per-user basis and does not
provide the standard lpr/lprm/lpq commands, as lprng does.

--
Henry House