Re: trying to copy the / (root) partition

* Erik Mathisen (erik@mathisen.us) [020620 16:06]:
> Hello,
>
> I made a post yesterday, but I still have not been able to resolve
> this issue.  I am putting a brand new hard drive into my system.  I
> would like to totally remove my my original drive.  I have copy and
> successfully made /home and other partitions and they are working
> great. Now the only challenge is to try to copy over the root
> partition, and make a boot loader boot to it.  If anyone could give me
> a procedure to follow or a reference to read, it would be greatly
> appreciated.

Your best bet is probably to boot to a rescue disk, such as a debian
install CDROM. Then you can just mount it and copy it over like any
other non-root partition.

In your new root partition, just edit (if necessary) your lilo.conf and
run lilo, and you're all set!

A little more detail on that last step:

I'd recommend 'organizing" the drives the way you intend to keep them
"finally": if the new drive will be hda, put it as hda now, and keep the
old drive somewhere in the system (say hdb). Boot off of the rescue disk
and copy stuff over. This way you probably won't even need to change
lilo.conf, just run lilo. Then you can reboot to the new drive and just
be up and running, and still have the old drive in there to be able to
get at it in case you need it, or just remove it after you've confirmed
that the new drive is working fine and you've copied everything from the
old drive over.

good times,
Vineet
--