Re: Help: Network Printer Config

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 00:02, Larry Smith wrote:
> I've had to build a new kernel to get Debian to
> recognize my Lan Card.  Now I'm missing the print
> spooler commands, and there's no printcap file.
>
> I've included printer support in the kernel,
> necessitating including the parallel interface.  It
> appears that during boot, parport sees that I actually
> have no printer plugged in, and perhaps that's why the
> printer commands don't appear.
>
> In truth I don't have a local printer, but as I
> understand it, I need the printer commands available
> (lpr, etc) and a printcap file to be able to
> communicate with a network printer.
>
> How do I get the  right stuff into the kernel to
> support a network printer, and how do I configure it.
> I'm used to the "printtool" utility under RedHat that
> helped me do this.

Printing is part of the kernel?????????  Maybe the USB print drivers,
and of course you must tell the kernel about parallel ports, but
I don't remember seeing printer support per-se in the kernel.  Have
you installed CUPS?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |