netatalk stopped working. help/advice needed

I have a small home LAN, two Linux i386 boxes, an iMac running OS 9.2, and a
Mac 8500 running OS 8.6. One of the Linux boxes operates a diald/ppp
connection to the outside, and netatalk for file sharing.

I decided for no good reason to upgrade the ppp connection box from Potato to
Woody. Now I cannot log onto file sharing from either Mac. ppp/diald still
works OK, so the problem is not in the TCP/IP connection. The two Macs show
slightly different symptoms. On the iMac I can log-on and get a directory
display of what is on the server, but the moment I do anything, the TCP/IP
connection is closed. On the Mac 8500, it behaves as if I gave it an
incorrect password. I notice that the phrase "Two way encrypted passwords"
is displayed in the login box on the Mac 8500. I don't recall that being
there before the upgrade, but have no way to check this.

I need suggestions as to how to debug this, please.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com