Re: xemacs background won't show an .xpm file

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 01:07 am, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Glen Lee Edwards <glen@fcwm.org> writes:
> > http://members.fcwm.org/glen/fvwm/fvwm2.jpg
>
> Nice - but do you LIKE those icons?!

It's a matter of priorities.  I have to work on functionality first.  I
worry about looks when I have the time.  Right now that isn't on my
priority list.  Also, that's an old screen shot.  I'm now using KDE as
the desk top manager with FVWM as the window manager.  I haven't had
the time to tweak the two so they work better together, but for now
they're doing what I need.  (kicker isn't showing all the active
programs or desktops)

> > I can't get it to work on the Debian box.  Instead of displaying
> > the pixmap I'm getting a solid black background.  Following is the
> > line I'm using in .xemacs.conf:
> >
> > (default ((t (:size "11pt" :stipple
> > "/home/glenlee/.fvwm/paper/grey.xpm"
> >
> > :family "Lucidatypewriter"))) t)
>
> Don't know what's wrong with the Lisp, if anything.  Xemacs 21.4 puts
> its config files in ~/.xemacs, and calls them init.el and
> custom.el(from customize, not to be edited by hand). Have you
> deliberately changed that?

Well, sort of not really.  I have extensive modifications, most of which
are in various files in ~/lisp.  When I installed xemacs on this box, I
first copied all my configuration files over from the other server.  On
installing xemacs, it stated that it wanted to make some changes
regarding moving configuration files from ~/ to ~/.xemacs, which I
agreed to.  init.el reads:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/glenlee")
(if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version) ; compares "Xemacs" with
results of emacs-version
  (setq custom-file ".xemacs.conf")         ; if "true" custom file
becomes .xemacs.conf
  (setq custom-file ".emacs.conf"))         ; if "false" custom file
becomes .emacs.conf  -  odd way of doing if - else.
(load custom-file)

which is word for word what .emacs used to read.  It's doing a pretty
good job of pulling most of my configuration options.  But some seem to
have mysteriously disappeared.  Unfortunately there are so many things
I'm currently trying to fix on this box that I haven't had time to try
to do a step by step check of what's going wrong where with xemacs.

> I usually set such things from .Xdefaults   eg
>

> Emacs*EmacsFrame.default.attributeBackgroundPixmap:
> ~/aaa/bitmaps/backgroundtile.xpm
>
> Then do
>
> xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults      to start the new settings   then restart
> Xemacs

Sweet!  That's what I was looking for!  Is there a resource somewhere
that gives an exhaustive list of the object model X uses?

> Most of this is in the Xemacs FAQ

Figures,

Thanks, Glyn.

Glen