xemacs background won't show an .xpm file

I posted this question to the xemacs list.  No one has responded, so I
thought I'd try here:

I recently bought a new PC and installed Debian 3, XFree86 Version
4.1.0.1 from a Debian package.  On my Red Hat box, I was able to
display a pixmap, grey.xpm, as the background in xemacs.  For a screen
shot, visit:

http://members.fcwm.org/glen/fvwm/fvwm2.jpg

I can't get it to work on the Debian box.  Instead of displaying the
pixmap I'm getting a solid black background.  Following is the line I'm
using in .xemacs.conf:

(default ((t (:size "11pt" :stipple "/home/glenlee/.fvwm/paper/grey.xpm"
:family "Lucidatypewriter"))) t)

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?  Am I missing a library or
something?

Thanks,

Glen