Re: How to report a Bug (Which Package?)

> As suggested in http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting ; I am
> sending this to "debian-user".

This is a good place to hang out for Debian users of all levels.  I encourage
you to stick around.

> I have just installed woody from scratch (due to trying ext3fs);
> and then I run "tasksel". I selected "X11"; and then choose
> "kdm" out of "xdm", "gdm", and "kdm".
>
> Apparently, it installs everything, unfortunately it does not
> like to install "gdm" (dpkg error code 1). Fortunetely, everything
> works fine after rerunning the installation process. As a
> matter of fact, this is the first time ever, I have managed
> automatically to install the X11 server (I used to configure
> it manually).

Erm, do you mean 'kdm' in the second paragraph, otherwise I'm confused.
Unfortunately, just getting the exit code is not really enough to diagnose the
problem.  Apt is normally pretty good about spitting out useful error messages
when it dies.  What error messages do you see?

> Question:
> - whoose bug is that?

Well, again, without having more useful error messages, it's difficult to
tell.  Maybe you tried running apt-get as a normal user, maybe the package is
broken, maybe there was just too much bad mojo in the room when you tried the
install.

> - how to report it?

The best way I've found to report bugs is to first of all do 'apt-get install
reportbug'.  Then when you think you've found a bug in (for instance) kdm, you
would type 'reportbug kdm'.  You'll want to read the man page for reportbug as
there are a couple of environment variables you'll want to set.  But it is a
very nice way to file new bugs.

HTH