Re: Trying again... X, KDE, Monitor

on Tue, Jun 18, 2002, Mike Rudmin (dscpubl@silute.omnitel.net) wrote:
> [Sorry if this is the 2nd or 3rd attempt at posting.  My Mac system here
> is acting wierd, and I'm not sure if the email went or not.]

3rd.

> I have Debian/Woody with KDE login, the kind that shows users' heads,
> and allows options to be selected such as "console login".
>
> Problem is, my monitor just blew, and I'll have to replace it.  But when
> I do, the new one will likely have different SVGA specs than
> the old one.  For this reason, I suspect it would be best to somehow be
> able to interrupt the startup so as to avoid the graphics screen, or at
> least force the graphics into VGA.

At boot, if you launch an X display manager, hit <ctrl><alt><F1> to go
to the first virtual console (also, handily enough, in text mode).
There are other options, including booting single-user, but this is
sufficient.  You will in all likelihood _NOT_ damage your monitor -- any
current monitor will detect out-of-spec settings and blank the display.

  - Log in.
  - Get root.
  - If desired, copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to another location for
    backup / reference.
  - Run  "dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to re-run your X11
    configuration.

...if this doesn't give you a solid, workable display (it should), post
back to the list and tweak by hand or other methods.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/