Trying again... X, KDE, Monitor

[Sorry if this is the 2nd or 3rd attempt at posting.  My Mac system here
is acting wierd, and I'm not sure if the email went or not.]

I have Debian/Woody with KDE login, the kind that shows users' heads,
and allows options to be selected such as "console login".

Problem is, my monitor just blew, and I'll have to replace it.  But when
I do, the new one will likely have different SVGA specs than
the old one.  For this reason, I suspect it would be best to somehow be
able to interrupt the startup so as to avoid the graphics screen, or at
least force the graphics into VGA.

Does anyone know how I can best change the monitor's specs for X?

 - Mike

P.S.  In case the followup links don't work, please cc: to
dscpubl@siltec.lt.  Recently, as indicated above, my Mac has been
behaving
a little strangely on email, and part of it is claiming that the
followup links are invalid.