Re: Net Install Requirements..

Oleg wrote:

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 12:09 am, Daniel Freedman wrote:

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002, Matthew Tedder wrote:

I'd like to install Debian on an old 8MB i386 with ~500MB of disk space. Is this possible?

Why? AFAIK there are organizations giving out i486s and Pentiums for free. If that is true, and also because, e.g. Wal-Mart sells reasonably modern new Lindows computers for $300 [1], i386s are simply not worth your time.

Assuming:

(1) He's close to Wal-Mart. Closest one to here is about 8000km away I believe.
(2) He has $300(USD) to spare on what might just be 'a cool idea'
(3) The time cost to get to walmart + $300(USD) < the time cost to get 386 out of box in cupboard
(4) He qualifies as a person/organisation that would get a free 486/Pentium.

If 2 or more of the above are not true, then a 386 could well be worth his time. And a great way to learn about Debian, and about running without an uber bloated 2GHz 2GbRAM monster.

To the original poster, yes it is possible if you can live without bells and whistles. Depending on what you want to do with it it might even run very very well.

John P Foster (who is still not the guy who makes Foster's Lager).