Beginning to try to secure my box.

I am trying to begin to secure my P.C.. It's only a home computer but may
hopefully later be linked to a second pc via 10/100 nics.

I was reading a faq on  the net about securing a linux box and they recomend
to not have certain services enabled unless absolutly necessary. One of these
is "portmap". I notice this is enabled by default (I think) on Woody. Can I
safely uninstall this service/program without affecting my p.c.?
All I'm using it for is surfing the net, reading email and other "home" type
things.

Also they recomend disabling nfs...I have "nfs-common" and nfs-kernel-server"
installed. Can I safely disable these too? I dont require them for apt-get
updates etc?
Thanks for any advise.