Re: Sound(?)

alo@purdue.edu wrote:
ok, after messing with ALSA and quite a bit of reading, I think I've finally made progress. Let me jot down what I've done so other people who might have my problem(s) can look it up in the archives someday:

I have a Gateway Solo 1200 with a VIA82C686A sound card. I couldn't get sound to work with kernel support alone. Thankfully, I got help. In order to get ALSA to have ./configure work properly, I had to create a file called version.h in my /usr/src/linux/include. To do that, I had to run "make oldconfig" and then "make dep". Then you can just run through the Quick Install in the INSTALL file of your alsa (for the editing the modules.conf part, make a file in /etc/modutils and put the information in there). After doing all that I attempted to unmute my card.

And that's where I have my latest problem. When I use amixer, I can clearly see that the card is unmuted, yet I still have no sound. Gamix states that I have a segmentation fault. Am I over looking something? Someone help please!

Alex

I've done most of my experimenting with XMMS, so that's where this question comes from.

When you try to use XMMS to play an MP3, what happens? Do you get an error about checking for the correct output plugin? Or does it seem to play but you simply hear no sound?

Kent