Re: spamassassin/procmail generating blank message

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.11.2314 +0100]:
> - the :0f bit says "Consider the pipe as a filter."
> - so, on the next line, it is piped to /usr/local/bin/spamassassin.
> - this processes it.  the spamassassin manpage -- which, having rtfmed
>   *before* posting, as i do whenever possible -- told me that which
>   you quoted above.  i wanted the spamassassin-processed mail to go
>   into my inbox -- which i assumed to be the mail spool -- and not to
>   STDOUT, at which point i would have had no idea where it would have
>   sent it.  i assume from your indignance that STDOUT means it would
>   go straight back into procmail, which would then filter it properly?

a filter is something that reads from STDIN and outputs the modified or
filtered data to STDOUT. if spamassassin writes directly to the
mailspool, the STDOUT data is <nothing>, but procmail considered
spamassassin a filter and thus runs a zero-byte message through the rest
of your recipes. if spamassassing passes the processed mail back to
STDOUT, procmail can work at it as usual.

> > so your lost mail will be in /var/mail/nori
>
> and this is "the mail spool" referred to above?

yes. this is the standard Debian mail spool, which you don't use btw.
you use Maildir in your home directory, and you don't have a spool on
orange because you deliver straight to your Maildirs with procmail. a
spool is really just a queue, although people often just use the spool
as their main mailbox.

> pardon me; i didn't know.  please don't tell me to rtfm when it was a
> simple terminology confusion fromm *having* rtfmed.

sorry, nori. really, i didn't mean to go haywire. please excuse me.
after all, it's all my fault for not having taught you... ;/

"know what I hate most?  rhetorical questions."
                                                      -- henry n. camp