Re: Yow, Madduck!

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:38:07PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.11.1859 +0100]:
| > Actually, you're kinda lucky that achilles.net accepted the forwarded
| > message since the headers indicate that an unknown hostname was in the
| > HELO.  They could have denied it just as martin's system did to your
| > debian box.  (I assume you didn't change anything in the headers other
| > than the name)
|
| if you run a smarthost as an ISP, you can't do that. any windoze machine
| will SMTP talk to you with the NetBIOS hostname, which is not FQDN. if
| you expect to have SMTP clients that aren't capable of SMTP or that
| aren't mail servers, you can't do what i am doing.

Right (though I feel that "SMTP clients incapable of SMTP" are just
plain wrong).  However the ISP can restrict the hosts (ips) it allows
the bad FQHNs from to be just the IPs it offers to customers.

I got the impression, though, that "machine.remailer.address" is a
system Brenda has that is not tied in with her current ISP.  Thus the
ISP doesn't have to allow invalid FQHNs from *it*.

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein