Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

Debian provided me the following:
1. Same distribution for a variety of hardware: powerpc (old Mac
clone), m68K (old mac LCIII), and x86 machine.

2. Simple way to upgrade software which handles dependency resolution
with minimal fuss -- apt-get and basic package management is really
nice.

3.  A very impressive number of compiled packages for all my
architectures.

4.  Ability to have various packages which provide same functionality
using the /etc/alternatives symlinks.

5.  I installed both the default compiler 2.95.4 and 3.0.4 and didn't
have to worry about building my own version and renaming it or putting
it in /usr/local and can easily switch back and forth.  ( I am sure
more knowledgeable people have better ways to have multiple compilers,
but it was a plus that Debian had both available (compiled for my
architectures) and can be installed simultaneously).

6.  Ability to choose various levels of software maturity using either
stable, testing or unstable.  For my needs, testing works well.

7.  Impressive support network from various email lists.

8.  Timely security updates.

9.  Basic installation was not top heavy -- no installation of
unnecessary software -- can add packages as needed.

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com