Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On 18 Jul 2002 18:24:25 -0000 grante@visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:

> >>   * The dselect UI is completely cryptic.
> >
> > Ah, after my first look, I never came back to dselect and have found
> > it to be more or less unnecessary.  Almost forgot it was there.  Yes,
> > it is cryptic and confusing.
>
> I generally avoid it. But, if you do end up running it, getting
> out without stern warnings about breaking your system is (in my
> experience) pretty difficult.

Yep, that's why I never went back.

> > Sounds like your neighbor chose a detailed level of
> > configuration questions (ie low priority) for debconf.  I
> > normally go with "medium" which is the default IIRC, and have
> > never seen the lynx prompt mentioned above.
>
> I don't remember ever selecting a configuration level.  When
> does that happen?

IIRC, it's after Tasksel and Dselect.

> Are you running woody or potato?  Most of these problems were
> in the intial install process which is installing potato
> packages.

I'm running woody.  Installed most of my systems directly to woody using
either the boot floppies or the unofficial woody cd #1, with everything
else pulled from my local mirror.

> I didn't note them.  All my installs go that way so I assumed
> it was SOP.

Are you using potato boot media, or woody?

> > This sounds like XFree86 3.3.x.  TMK, woody uses XFree86 4.1.0.1.
>
> Right.  But woody floppies don't install woody, they install
> potato.

Nah, they install woody, but reference stable (which is currently potato)
packages.  The key here is the sources.list entries.  In most cases right
now, simply let the install build a sources.list for you and then at the
question about adding another source, say yes and choose to edit manually.
 Then change all references of stable to testing.

> I've always thought this a particularly odd problem since there
> wasn't anything unusual about the systems.  They all used IDE
> drives with a 20M boot partition starting at cylinder 0.

Sounds very similiar to what I use.  I would certainly look further into
this problem.

> I never used mouse stuff in console mode anyway, so purging GPM
> is a simple solution.

Agreed.

> My only complaint about RH is that it's now on multiple CDs so
> you can't just go away and leave it alone until it's done.

Ah, a local mirror / network installation is your friend.

--
Jamin W. Collins