Re: Newbie Install Problems

on Thu, Apr 11, 2002, Dr. Louis A. Turk (louisaturk@coxinet.net) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am brand new to Debian Linux.  I just installed Debian Linux from the CD
> that came with Debian GNU/Linux Bible.  So far I have noticed two big
> problems:
>
> 1.  I also installed Window Maker, and it loads up upon startup.  I don't
> like that; I want to load it from the command line only if and when I want
> it.  How do I uninstall it?  I have tried and tried but to no avail.  If I
> run dselect from a shell, it won't allow me to uninstall anything.

Short answer:

    # likely only one of these is installed, find out which:
    $ apt-get remove xdm kdm gdm wdm

Long(er) answer:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html

> 2.  Networking is not working so I can't log onto the internet (I have
> a cable connection).  How do I figure out what is wrong.

Um...more data needed.

If you can get ahold of a copy of the "Linux Network Administrator's
Guide" (aka the NAG), it has some really good (if sometimes dated)
step-by-step directions and explanations of networking issues.  Cable
largely post-dates it though.  O'Reilly publishes a newer version,
there's an older one available as a Debian package 'ldp-nag'.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Integrity, we've heard of it:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/